Take your ATC’s to a whole new level! In this project-oriented workshop, we will create tiny collages from interesting ephemera and sandwich them between sheets of mica. The sheets of mica will be held together with 1/16” eyelets or brads that allow you to easily add a hanging wire or hinges if you so desire. We will cut hats and accessories from vintage tin and attach them to the mica ATC’s with tiny rivets or brads. As an added bonus, I will share my source for dried butterflies so your card can have real butterfly wings adorning the image! I will also include an extra project idea where you will create a holiday ornament that will be cherished for years to come. You will make the coolest cards on the block after this workshop…everyone will want to trade ATCs with you!
You will learn how to:
- artfully design and lay out miniature collages
- work with mica sheets
- to add animals, flowers or other images to the original image for a seamless whole
- accent your collages with paint, pens and pencils
- work with real butterfly wings and add them to your project
- use washi paper tape in new ways for embellishment
- use rubber stamps and embossing powders to add interesting elements
- use cold connections for adding hats, crowns, wings and other dimensional items to the cards
- work with thin gauge metal (cutting, shaping, hole punching)
Supply list (hover over word to activate link): A full supply list will be provided with class registration, but I want you to know that there are a few tools and supplies that are essential for completion of this project so that you may budget accordingly. You will learn how to use these tools and supplies in class and I believe they are a good investment for future projects…you won’t use them just this once!
- mica sheets-this company supplies large sheets!
- 1/16″ eyelets-you can find a variety of colors here!
- 1/16″ eyelet setter-this one is foolproof!
- hole punch-my favorite is this one (I have both sizes) and I will tell you why in class!
Would you like to get some inspiration from the wonderful work created by past workshop participants? Take a peek at the video below…click on the outward pointing arrows icon in the bottom right-hand corner to watch on the full screen! Press “escape” to return to the page.
“If you ever give up teaching, you could have a good career as a stand-up comedian!”
“So much information! Your classes are goldmines!”
“I love how you provide supply and technique options that allow students to use what they might have on hand to complete a project rather than insisting on an exacting supply list!”
“Stephanie is very creative…she shares her artistic “secrets” from mistakes made to materials suggestions and uses.”
“This class allowed me to learn new techniques and to expand my creativity!”
“Stephanie is very organized and her pacing of class and teaching style are just wonderful…”
*By clicking on purchase link, you are agreeing to Studio Rubiano Workshops Policy…so you might wanna read it first.
You will receive a confirmation email after payment with more information on the workshop!
Hope to see you in the classroom!